The course is focused on the practical learning of creating recipes and preparing coffee using various methods. Participants test the influence of various factors on the brewing process. An important part of the training is the practical knowledge of water quality and methods of testing it.
The brewing intermediate training, in addition to the skills related to brewing coffee and preparing recipes, puts emphasis on the practical learning of the sensory description of the brew. Participants build their own dictionary of coffee descriptors and use it in practice to analyze infusions with different% TDS and% extraction. They learn how to assess the correctness of brewed coffee without using a refractometer.
The course includes:
- History of coffee research.
- Factors influencing the extraction and quality of the infusion: degree of roasting, ratio (proportion of the amount of coffee and water), degree of grinding, temperature, brewing time, agitation.
- Classification of brewing methods.
- Coffee brewing stages.
- Definitions: % TDS and % of extraction.
- Learning to use the SCA Coffee Brewing Control Chart.
- Support for the refractometer and the VST application.
- Categories and sensory attributes that can be used to describe the infusion.
- Sensory analysis of infusions with different % extraction and % TDS.
- Identification of the correctness of the brewed coffee, modification of coffee recipes.
- Coldbrew: definitions and recipes.
- Coffee water, terms: general hardness, carbonate hardness, buffer capacity, pH.
- Water quality control: drop tests, pH meter, conductometer.
- Test of coffee brewed in waters with a different mineral composition.
- Requirements for participants: recommended Brewing course at the basic level.
- The training ends with a theoretical and practical exam. Obtaining positive results of the exams gives the opportunity to receive the SCA certificate.
- Number of participants: 3 to 6 people.
- Duration of the course: 2 days, approximately 8 hours each (a 45-minute meal break is provided for each day of the course).
- Course price without SCA certificate: PLN 1,990 gross per person.
- Price of the SCA-certified course (only for SCA members): PLN 2,555 gross per person. *
- The price of the SCA-certified course for people from outside the SCA association: PLN 2,920 gross.
* Certificates are priced only for SCA members with a currently paid membership fee.