The course introduces you to issues such as sensory analysis and the mechanisms of human physiology responsible for the sensation of taste, aroma, body and texture of coffee. Students will learn the five basic tastes, aroma groups and flavor notes. They learn to describe the intensity and quality of coffee using categories and sensory attributes and tools: SCA Coffee Flavor Wheel and Le Nez du Cafe. The training participants will also learn about the SCA cupping procedure.
The course includes:
- Basic knowledge of sensory analysis and its importance during coffee tasting.
- Sense of taste and sight: mechanism of action and participation in sensory analysis.
- Exercises in recognizing 5 basic tastes: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami.
- Sensory categories body and texture – practical exercises.
- Exercises in recognizing the basic groups of aromas and notes of flavor present in coffee with the use of Le Nez Du Cafe and SCA Coffee Flavor Wheel tools.
- Comparative coffee tests – exercises in describing the intensity of basic flavors as well as the body and texture of the brew.
- Cupping SCA: purpose, definitions, protocol for the preparation and tasting of coffee.
- Categories and sensory attributes useful for describing coffee infusion.
- Requirements for participants: experience is not required.
- The training ends with a theoretical and practical exam. Obtaining positive results of the exams gives the opportunity to receive the SCA certificate.
- Number of participants: 4 to 8 people.
- Duration of the course: 8 hours (a 45-minute meal break is planned during the course).
- Course price without SCA certificate: PLN 790 gross per person.
- The price of the SCA-certified course: PLN 990 gross per person.