Whether you plan to roast your coffee professionally as an employee, plan to open your own coffee roaster, or take it as a hobby, this course covers everything you need to know to get started.
The SCA Roasting Foundation training is a training on the most important basics of the coffee roasting process, the operation of a coffee stove and the operation of a roaster. It allows you to understand well what the roasting process is, how it should be controlled and how to start the operation of the coffee roaster from the business point of view.
The Course includes:
- Coffee – how does the species, origin, botanical variety or processing of beans influence the roasting process?
- Coffee roasting stages – how do coffee beans physically and chemically change during roasting?
- Coffee roasting terminology: coffee color, heat energy transfer, roasted coffee profile curve, development time, bean temperature, air temperature of the roasting process, etc.
- Construction of a typical coffee stove, types of coffee stoves, types of burners, temperature judgments, etc., and other devices that are important elements of the roasting room equipment.
- Learning to calculate the changes in weight, volume, and density of roasted coffee.
- Learning to use a burned-in color meter – a colorimeter.
- Basic business issues, including: coffee selection depending on the target customer, how to choose a coffee stove, how to create coffee blends to suit our customers.
- Basics of coffee roaster operation procedures related to safety and high work efficiency.
- The practical part includes 4 hours of roasting coffee using a coffee stove and tasting infusions of beans roasted in different colors and roasting profiles.
- In addition, we get acquainted with the appearance and operation of a working coffee roaster located in the same building as the Coffee Support training center.
- Requirements for participants: experience is not required.
- The training ends with a theory test. Obtaining a positive result of the exams gives the opportunity to receive the SCA certificate.
- Number of participants: 2 to 4 people.
- Duration of the course: 8 hours (a 45-minute meal break is planned during the course).
- Course price without SCA certificate: PLN 1,390 gross per person.
- SCA certificate and “on-line” exam: PLN 350 gross per person.