Water - purification, quality, composition
Water is a key ingredient in coffee preparation. Its quality, the mineral composition and physicochemical parameters are as important for the quality of coffee as the equipment with which we prepare it. The hardness, alkalinity and pH of water are very important regarding the taste of espresso as well as the protection of the equipment we use in the cafe.
During the training, we learn what the basic water treatment systems used in gastronomy. We gain practical knowledge in the selection of appropriate water filtration systems for our needs in a cafe. We learn the most critical water parameters that are worth controlling and measure.
Through comparative tasting of coffee brewed with water of different hardness and mineralisation, we discover the influence of these parameters on the taste and quality of prepared infusions.
Based on a simple excel calculator, we learn how to design our water, the composition of which will be safe for the equipment, suitable for coffee in our cafe or to compete in “Brewers’ cup” championships.
- Water – chemical structure and composition,
- Definitions related to water: hardness, alkalinity,
buffer compounds, pH,
- Theoretical and practical aspects of measurements of individual parameters of water (theory and practice)
- The best water for coffee and equipment – the standards of the Specialty Coffee Association
- How can water damage the espresso machine?
- How to design the best water composition for cafes and baristas?
- A comparative tasting of coffees prepared using different water quality
- Measurement of key water parameters
- Designing and preparing water of chosen physical and chemical parameters.
Through comparative tasting of coffee brewed with water of different hardness and mineralisation, we discover the influence of these parameters on the taste and the quality of brewed coffee.
- Duration: 6 hours (there is a 30-minute break during the training)
- Number of participants: 4 to 8 people
- Price: 800 PLN per person ( including VAT tax )